For the Summer Rolls:
• 15-18 leaves of rice paper
• Glass noodles – approx. 2 handfuls
• 2 avocados
• 1 ripe mango
• 1/2 red and ½ yellow pepper
• 1/2 cucumber
• 2-3 carrots
• 1 bunch radishes
• 1/2 bunch spring onions
• One handful lettuce leaves, shredded
• One handful Thai basil (or coriander – whichever you prefer)
• Two handfuls cashew nuts (or peanuts)
• 1/2 lime, to drizzle
For the Peanut Dip:
• 2 tbsp peanut butter
• 300 ml coconut milk
• 1/2- 1 tsp red Thai curry paste (amount dependent on how hot you wish to make the sauce)
• 1/4 tsp ginger, finely chopped
• 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
• Juice of ½ lime
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
• A few chili flakes, according to taste
To serve, if desired:
• A little soy sauce
• Sesame seeds
1. Steep the noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water, to prevent them from sticking together.
2. Cut the carrots, peppers, spring onions and cucumbers into julienne strips and thinly slice the radishes.
3. Peel the mango and cut into long, thin slices. Cut the avocado flesh into strips and use a spoon to pull these strips from the avocado shell. Drizzle lime juice over the avocado strips.
4. Roughly chop the nuts, and wash the Thai-basil and lettuce leaves.
5. Place all ingredients within reach, and fill a large pan with approx. ½ litre of water.
Here comes the fun bit – let’s roll!
1. Take one sheet of rice paper and allow it to soften for 10 to 15 seconds in water (it should not be too limp, just malleable). It might take a few trial runs until you get the hang of the consistency. If you soak the sheets for too long, they will become too sticky.
2. Place the softened rice paper on the work surface (I often place a damp towel underneath) and lay the ingredients on the lower third of the sheet. Fold the sides in and roll it up.
3. To make the sauce, simply stir all ingredients to a smooth paste. I like to throw a few chopped nuts and a little Thai basil on top.
4. Place the finished rolls on a plate (try not to let the rolls touch each other, as they might stick together). Garnish with slices of lime and nuts, and you’re done!
Enjoy it! ☺